The Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary founded its first school in Spain, in the province of Cadiz, in 1851, with only four nuns. However, it was in 1888 that the foundation established, without interruptions, first of all in Puerto de Santa María and the following year in Castilleja de la Cuesta (Seville).
The first school in Biscay opened in Zalla, in May 1904.
20 years after the foundation of the school in Zalla, many families who wanted their daughters to be educated in a half-board school, asked the IBVM to open a school in Bilbao.
They opened a school in a chalet in Mayor 33 street, in October 1944.
Due to the warm welcome of the families, the school became too small and the following year, they decided to buy a chalet in Coste 5 street.
The current school in Leioa opened in 1975.